Do you have a can’t-miss idea for new book? Our acquisitions team invites you to share your proposal with us.
We are currently seeking new manuscripts in the following areas:
If you would like to submit a proposal for a book idea in one of the above topic areas, here are the items we will need to begin our publication approval process. The more detail you can provide to acquaint us with the aim, scope, content and market for your book idea, the better. We look forward to hearing from you, and for the opportunity to work with you in the future.
- Provide a working title for the proposed book.
- In 200-300 words, describe briefly the aims and scope of the proposed book.
- Include what the book hopes to accomplish, the level of the content (undergraduate, graduate, professional, etc.), your motivation for writing, and what gaps in the literature the book will fill.
- Explain who the target audience(s) will be and why the book will be attractive to that audience.
- Discuss any unique angles or content the book will contain which will help it stand out in the marketplace.
- In short, help us understand why the proposed audience needs this book and why it will be a success.
Detailed Table of Contents
- Provide a complete outline of the contents of the proposed book beginning with chapter titles.
- Include a sentence or two, or bullet points, under each chapter describing what the chapter will contain.
- Provide your credentials including a CV for the lead author(s)/editor(s).
- Let us know if the book will have a single author, multiple authors, or be an edited volume with contributors. If the latter, we will only need CVs for the lead authors. We do not need a complete list of contributors at this point.
- Elaborate on the proposed audiences for your book, mentioning the primary audience as well as any secondary or tertiary audiences.
- Discuss any current trends that will motivate your target audience(s) to purchase the proposed book.
- List a few similar, competing, and complementary books and explain how your book will differ from them.
Your Vision of the Book
- Give us an idea of the extent and format you envision for the proposed book, including:
- Approximate finished page count
- Approximate number of photos, figures and tables
- Black and white or color interior
- Trim size (eg. 6” x 9”, 7” x 10”, 8.5” x 11”, etc.)
- Hardcover or paperback
- Approximate price range
- Describe the supplemental materials (if any) that will accompany your book, such as: instructor’s manual, powerpoints, test bank, video content, etc.
- Provide the current status of the manuscript. Include an rough date for the completion of the manuscript and submission to SLACK.
Sample Chapter (optional)
- If the work is complete or partially written, please include a sample chapter.
You may direct your proposal to one of our acquisitions editors at:
ATTN: Acquisitions Department
Health Care Books and Journals
6900 Grove Road
Thorofare, NJ 08086
To view our brochure on writing a book with SLACK Incorporated, click here.
"The professionals at SLACK are without a doubt the very best in the publishing business… From my experience working with different publishing companies, I can honestly say that SLACK is second to none."
—Jeff G. Konin, PhD, ATC, PT
"SLACK offers a very unique and supportive environment that makes an author feel like you are part of the family. Your project receives individual attention from practiced professionals and someone is always available to speak with you or answer your questions. With SLACK you feel that you are not just writing a book but that you are contributing to the profession and moving it forward.""
—Karen Jacobs, EdD, OTR/L, CPE, FAOTA
"I have worked with the SLACK editors and publishers since 1986. In every circumstance, they were fully supportive of my ideas, wonderfully helpful in editing and in design, great at publicizing my work, and as an added bonus, have become treasured friends. I recommend them without hesitation to all my friends and colleagues who hope to publish."
—Carol M. Davis, DPT, EdD, MS, FAPTA
"SLACK personnel happily collaborated with me to develop innovative and creative approaches to my project while consistently honoring the intended purpose, scope, and audience for my book. My whole experience with SLACK was stellar and I am thankful to have worked with this publisher!"
—Jennifer C. Friberg, EdD, CCC-SLP/L, ASHA Fellow
"I have worked with SLACK for several years and everyone goes above and beyond to be supportive. Authors receive individualized attention when needed, but are left to work when they need time to do so. When my co-author and I requested purple and pink be worked into the color scheme for our cover, the designers came through!"
—Dee Berlinghoff, PhD,
Past President, CEC-TED